Hear how you can maintain an outdated paint shade from exhibiting by way of, what to do about peeling paint on a tub and extra.
Masking Outdated Paint Shade
A house owner is making an attempt to color inside partitions, however the outdated shade retains coming again.
“I’ve now put three coats of primer on the partitions, and the outdated shade remains to be shining by way of!” they are saying. “Is there something I can do to cowl up that paint efficiently?”
There are just a few steps you may take to attempt to enhance the protection of the primer:
Sand the partitions: Sanding the partitions will create a tough floor for the primer to stick to, which can enhance its protection. You’ll want to wipe down the partitions with a moist fabric to take away any mud after sanding.
Use a high-quality, high-adhesion primer: Some primers are particularly formulated to stick to troublesome surfaces, akin to shiny paint or oil-based paint. Utilizing a high-quality, high-adhesion primer could enhance the protection of the outdated paint.
Study extra: Find out how to Select the Proper Sandpaper Grit for the Job
Use bonding primer: Bonding primer, also called adhesion primer or glue primer, is a kind of primer that’s particularly formulated to stick to troublesome surfaces. It’s designed to bond to surfaces which are in any other case laborious for paint to stay to, akin to shiny paint, metallic, or plastic. You’ll want to permit every coat to dry totally earlier than making use of the following.
Tint the primer: One of these primer has been blended with a small quantity of paint pigment to offer it a slight shade. Tinted primer can be utilized to assist cowl up darkish colours or imperfections on a floor, or to enhance the general look of the completed paint job.
If the paint remains to be exhibiting by way of, chances are you’ll want to color the partitions a darkish shade to hide the outdated paint.
Peeling Paint on a Tub
The paint is peeling like loopy in a brand new home-owner’s bathtub.
She says, “It has been like this since they moved in, and we’re questioning if it’s okay to take all of it off.”
It’s usually not a good suggestion to take away the entire paint from a tub. If the paint is peeling, it’s doubtless that the underlying layer will not be effectively adhered to the bathtub floor, which might trigger additional peeling and harm.
One possibility is to take away unfastened and flaking paint utilizing a scraper or wire brush. Then, sand the floor to create a tough, porous floor for the brand new paint to stick to. The bathtub ought to then be totally cleaned and dried earlier than making use of a brand new coat of paint.
If the paint is in poor situation and can’t be salvaged, take away the entire paint and begin recent. Nevertheless, this generally is a time-consuming and labor-intensive course of. It’s additionally vital to bear in mind that the underlying floor might not be in good situation.
Earlier than starting any work on the bathtub, you will need to shield your self and the encompassing space. Put on protecting gear and canopy any close by surfaces with drop cloths.
Learn Portray a Bathtub? Right here’s What You Must Know for extra data.
If you’re not comfy refinishing the bathtub by yourself, chances are you’ll need to think about hiring knowledgeable to refinish the bathtub for you.
Hearken to study the professionals and cons of tankless water heaters, how you can restore rotten soffit, how you can maintain snow from stepping into ridge vents and extra.
Execs and Cons of Tankless Water Heaters
A house owner is considering changing his customary water heater with an electrical tankless water heater and needs to know the professionals and cons.
Execs of tankless water heaters:
- They will present an countless provide of sizzling water: As a result of tankless water heaters warmth water on demand, you’ll by no means run out of sizzling water.
- They’re extra power environment friendly: Tankless water heaters solely warmth water if you want it, in order that they’re extra power environment friendly than conventional tank water heaters. This can lead to power financial savings of as much as 40 p.c.
- They’ve an extended lifespan: Tankless water heaters have an extended lifespan than conventional tank water heaters as a result of they don’t have a tank that may rust or corrode.
- They’re extra compact: Tankless water heaters are way more compact than conventional tank water heaters, making them a good selection for small houses or residences.
Cons of tankless water heaters:
- They’ve a better upfront value: Tankless water heaters have a better upfront value than conventional tank water heaters. Nevertheless, the power financial savings over time can offset this preliminary funding.
- They require extra upkeep: Tankless water heaters require extra frequent upkeep than conventional tank water heaters. This contains cleansing the burners and changing the filter.
- They might not be appropriate for giant households: Tankless water heaters could not be capable of present sufficient sizzling water for giant households with a number of showers and home equipment operating concurrently.
- They might not be appropriate for houses with low water strain: Tankless water heaters require a sure minimal water movement fee to function successfully. If your own home has low water strain, a tankless water heater might not be a good selection.
Changing Rotten Soffits
A house owner’s soffits are bowing downward and rotting. He asks: “I’m unsure what to switch them with. What do you recommend?”
It seems like you will have a problem with the structural integrity of your soffits. Bowing and rotting soffits generally is a signal of water harm or poor air flow. If the harm is intensive, it could be crucial to switch the soffits totally.
There are a number of choices for changing soffits:
- Wooden: Wooden is a conventional materials for soffits, nevertheless it requires common portray or staining to keep up its look. It may additionally rot or turn out to be infested with pests if not correctly maintained.
- Vinyl: Vinyl soffits are low upkeep and resist rotting, however they might turn out to be brittle over time and could be vulnerable to cracking in excessive temperatures.
- Aluminum: Aluminum soffits are sturdy and resist rust, however they are often vulnerable to dents and will require periodic portray.
- Fiber cement: Fiber cement soffits are a dearer possibility, however they’re extraordinarily sturdy and resist rotting, warping, and bug infestations.
Stopping Snow from Getting into Ridge Vents
Snow retains stepping into a home-owner’s attic area by way of the ridge vents each time there’s a blizzard with sturdy winds.
He says, “There may be sufficient snow that I’ve to make use of a shovel to take away it. Snow gathers on the beam below the ridge vent the place mild bulbs are affixed. How do I alleviate this drawback?”
There are just a few steps you may take to stop snow from getting into your attic by way of the ridge vents:
- Set up snow guards: Snow guards are gadgets which are put in on the roof to stop snow and ice from sliding off and accumulating on the eaves.
- Set up warmth cables: Warmth cables, also called roof de-icing cables, could be put in alongside the eaves and the ridge to stop snow and ice from accumulating. The cables use electrical energy to generate warmth, which melts the snow and ice on contact.
- Set up a snow fence: A snow fence is a bodily barrier that’s put in on the roof to dam the wind and forestall snow from blowing into the attic by way of the ridge vents.
- Insulate the attic: Correct insulation within the attic might help forestall snow from melting and refreezing on the eaves, which may trigger ice dams.
It could even be useful to have knowledgeable examine your roof to make sure that it’s correctly sealed and in good situation. If the snow is getting into by way of gaps or openings within the roof, these points will must be addressed so as to forestall future snow accumulation within the attic.
Greatest New Merchandise
|Whether or not it’s essential to retailer frozen meals, produce, or drinks, the Vissani convertible freezer/fridge can deal with all of it. Study extra >>|
Fallacious Measurement Wrench? No Downside! — What do you do when an open-end wrench is a bit too giant for the nut or bolt you’re making an attempt to loosen or tighten? This occurs when engaged on a metric fastener and also you’ve solely received a standard-size wrench or visa versa.
Properly, you will have heard of the trick of utilizing metallic washer or coin to fill the hole within the wrench. And whereas that does work — generally — right here’s a greater resolution:
Place the too-large wrench onto the nut or bolt after which jam a slotted screwdriver into the hole between the fastener and wrench.
The wedge-shaped tip of the screwdriver tightens up the match and actually locks the wrench in place.
Watch: Do It! Hack Your Wrenches to Bust Nuts Unfastened
Steam Clear Your Microwave Oven — Right here’s a simple, easy method to clear the within of your microwave oven:
- Pour a 50/50 resolution of water and white vinegar right into a glass bowl.
- Set the bowl within the oven and microwave on excessive for a number of minutes.
- Rigorously take away the bowl, then scrub the within of the oven with a scouring sponge. The steam created by the water and vinegar will loosen even probably the most cussed, caked-on stains.
Watch: Find out how to Steam-Clear Your Microwave in Minutes
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
You probably have a remark, common query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on At the moment’s House owner, please fill on this type: