Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal enlargement gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Large by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a good choice for householders searching for a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s one of the inexpensive flooring choices, making it an ideal alternative for budget-conscious householders. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. ft of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should purchase luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Dwelling Depot.
So, if you happen to set up it your self, it may solely value you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake folks make when putting in is slicing it tight in opposition to a wall. All floating flooring require an enlargement area — you’ll want wherever from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the luxurious vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply remember to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Comply with the instructions precisely relating to any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment may already be hooked up.
Watch: How you can Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris has spent in his new Alabama dwelling, and he’s seeing the results of thermal enlargement.
Over the previous months, he says important gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to right the problem? If the gaps are stuffed, will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s wonderful how a lot supplies in a house develop and contract, and possibly nowhere is it extra evident than while you’re crown molding.
The excellent news is these gaps will often shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round.
Nonetheless, in case you have some gaps which might be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As a substitute of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem however it gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Hearken to be taught the straightforward option to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s good to do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A house owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“Moreover raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the ability to choose them up. Is there a bit of kit appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should utilize to take away acorns from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to include the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These will be dear, so see if you happen to can lease one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To get rid of this drawback sooner or later, stop the acorns from falling within the first place. If attainable, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical therapies can stop acorn manufacturing, however solely knowledgeable arborist ought to apply them.
Remember — eradicating acorns will be time-consuming and also you may must repeat it as new acorns fall.
All the time put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and concentrate on bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A house owner says the tempered glass on his fuel cooktop instantly shattered the opposite day, regardless that the equipment wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be sturdy and sturdy, however it might probably shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes.
A few of the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop will not be put in appropriately, it might probably put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an illustration, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it may put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to speedy adjustments in temperature, reminiscent of from a sizzling pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it might probably trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Typically, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra susceptible to shattering. If that is so, report it to the producer.
You’ll be able to name knowledgeable to interchange the glass cooktop, however it is perhaps costly. Take into account changing the equipment with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To forestall a glass cooktop from shattering, comply with the following tips:
- Don’t place a sizzling pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This will trigger thermal stress and may trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and stop warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it might probably scratch or chip the glass.
- Don’t place heavy objects, reminiscent of forged iron pans or strain cookers, on the cooktop as they will trigger influence injury.
- Clear the cooktop repeatedly with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or material to take away any grime, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it might probably trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- All the time comply with the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Masking Terracotta Tile
A house owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California apartment.
“The floor is just too laborious, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we now have extra snug flooring put in on high? It looks as if elimination will probably be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll need to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a clean, even floor for putting in one other kind of flooring over it.
You may run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it might probably block home equipment from opening or make them not degree together with your cupboards and counters. Test the peak of the brand new flooring to ensure this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for overlaying terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring will be put in over the present tiles and is sturdy and straightforward to wash.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring will be put in over the present tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring can be put in over the present tiles and is out there in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating flooring: A floating flooring is a sort of flooring that’s not hooked up to the subfloor, this sort of flooring will be put in over the terracotta tiles and will be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with knowledgeable flooring specialist to find out the best choice in your particular scenario.
Finest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your tasks. Study extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Device — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, it’s essential to first take away any standing water. Now, you could possibly use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s an alternative choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally known as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you possibly can squirt it right into a bucket, bathroom or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, bathroom clogs, or in case you have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: How you can Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s finest to move the paint via a filter to display screen out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows via a lot too slowly. As a substitute, use a bit of vinyl insect screening. Minimize the display screen about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the previous paint via the display screen. When completed, rinse out the display screen with a backyard hose and reserve it for the subsequent paint job.
Watch: How you can Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
When you have a remark, common query about dwelling enchancment, or one thing we have featured on Immediately’s Home-owner, please fill on this type: